5 Potential Electrical Safety Hazards in Your Home

3 Minutes Posted on:


About Me

Construction Advice and News If you are looking for a fun and informative blog which will tell you all of the things you need to know about the construction industry and how it can help you to realise your dreams, you have come to the right place. My name is Sandy and ever since I called in a construction company to carry out work on my property, I have been hooked on learning all I can about the industry. I kept in touch with some of the construction crew and they have been teaching me everything I need to know about this subject. Enjoy!

Search

Archive

Electricity is used in nearly every home and can be very dangerous if not managed properly. Daily, you interact with electricity and have a chance to minimise the dangers that come with electrical hazards. In order for you to protect yourself and your family from these dangers, you need to identify them. 

Here are five common electrical hazards in your home.

1. Poor Wiring

In a bid to cut costs during the construction phase, the wiring might have been done poorly by unqualified personnel. While this can be a cost-saving feature, it is best that only a licensed and experienced electrician does the wiring for your building. Bad wiring increases the chances of having power surges and even house fires. 

If your wiring is old is and worn out or even corroded, it can cause an electrical mishap. If you notice a problem with your wiring or if you suspect one, contact a licensed electrician to replace or repair the faulty areas. 

2. Light Bulbs

First of all, replacing or installing a light bulb should be done when switched off to avoid shock. Also, ensure you select the right watts bulb to avoid overheating the circuit. 

Bulbs can also create a fire hazard when they are exposed to a flammable material when plugged in and can cause disastrous fires. Ensure you keep away items like sheets and plastics, which have a high potential of ignition when in contact with a burning bulb. 

3. Outlets Near Water

Outlets in your bathrooms or kitchen, as well as other living areas, should be far from water sources. Water is a conductor of electricity and as such, having the outlet a distance far from water reduces the chances of getting electrocuted. 

Also avoid using plugged in appliances like radios, dryers or even phones when in a bath or even when the floor is wet like the pool area is most of the time.

4. Extension Cords

Extension cords are a commonly used substitute for additional outlets. However, avoid plugging in too many appliances at any given time. 

5. Water on Electrical Fires

If at any point due to faulty electrical issues in your home, an electrical fire occurs, do not pour water on it. The water will fuel the fire since water is a conductor of electricity. Always have a fire extinguisher close in your buildings to use at such times. Additionally, start by switching off the power and calling a fire brigade before the fire gets out of hand.

One of the best ways to avoid electrical hazards in your home is by never doing any electrical repairs by yourself. If you need electrical inspection, service or repair, contact a licensed and experienced electrician and hire them for the job. 

• Tags: • 457 Words