Answers to Some Commonly Asked Questions About Construction Certifiers

2 Minutes Posted on:

About Me

Construction Advice and News If you are looking for a fun and informative blog which will tell you all of the things you need to know about the construction industry and how it can help you to realise your dreams, you have come to the right place. My name is Sandy and ever since I called in a construction company to carry out work on my property, I have been hooked on learning all I can about the industry. I kept in touch with some of the construction crew and they have been teaching me everything I need to know about this subject. Enjoy!


When you are planning any type of building or renovating on your property, you will probably need to first hire a construction certifier and may also need to have them come back to your property for inspections throughout the renovation or construction process. This is done to ensure your property is prepared for that work and will be safe during its process, and that the work is being done up to local codes. Note a few questions you might have about a construction certifier and then discuss their services with them or your contractor if you still need more information. 

Does your swimming pool need a certification?

You may assume that a construction certifier is needed only for work that involves actual construction or for work on a building on your property, meaning your house, garage, barn and the like. However, if you want to sell or lease a home with a swimming pool, you need to have that pool inspected by a construction certifier. This is to ensure it is safe for occupants and meets all local codes for barriers, railings and other safety features, and that it doesn't have leaks that could result in property damage for your tenants or new homebuyers.

What if a builder suggests a certifier?

It can be easier to use the services of a construction certifier that has been suggested by your builder but note that you're not obligated to use that particular person or company. If your builder says they cannot start work unless a particular certifier is used, or if they refuse to finish work until you hire a particular certifier, you should consult with an attorney or your local municipality where construction certificates and permits are issued and report him or her.

When should you file a complaint about a certifier?

Remember that a certifier is not there to help you with the construction process or help you make decisions about your budget, materials to use and other matters. You need to work out your plans with your contractor or builder; if the certifier doesn't issue a permit because your plans are not acceptable, this doesn't mean you should file a complaint, thinking this will get them to change their mind or that you'll get help from your local municipality. Certifiers should make it clear as to why you are not being issued a permit or something has not passed inspection but failing to get your needed paperwork is not reason in of itself to begin a complaint process.

• Tags: • 419 Words